As development for this module occurs in a browser, rather than an IDE with the typical debugging features, the best way to troubleshoot is to print messages over a serial port that can be read by a laptop.
Before going through all the mistakes I made, I got the system up and running with the following steps:
- Close the compiler
- Open the compiler
- Start a new project
- Create a main.cpp, fill it with code you *know* will work
- Import the libraries from scratch (if you hit compile straight away, the errors that pop up contain links that will help you import the missing libraries. Pretty cool).
- Compile, download, test
- Rejoice at your success
- Weep for the time wasted
Those steps took far too long as I was trying to solve problems that didn’t really exist. This post discusses that magical journey (you can follow along in the source code: git it here).